Explore SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO
This charming historic city situated southeast of downtown Santa Ana in Orange County is considered one of the oldest residential areas in the state. A town of firsts, this is where the first-ever vineyard and winery in California was built. Real estate in this romantic community is heavily influenced by its past, with elements of Spanish revival architecture bringing a unique flair and warmth to its neighborhoods.
A vibrant urban town with an old soul, San Juan Capistrano will give you a feeling of nostalgia, with its historic buildings and churches that seem to have been here for centuries. If only these walls could talk.
The town got its name from the word “Juaneños,” a Spanish term used by the early Spanish settlers to describe the original Native American settlers in the area, the Acjachemen. The community was built around Mission San Juan Capistrano, one of the oldest landmarks in Orange County.
LIFESTYLE IN SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO
Blas Aguilar Adobe House. Built-in 1794 to serve as a home for the soldiers and local Native Americans who served in the mission, this historical site contains artifacts that tell the story of what happened during those early Mission years.
Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park. The largest park in all of Orange County, this highly accessible park just seven and a half miles from the city offers wide open spaces, extensive trails for biking and hiking, as well as a themed playground for the little ones to enjoy. It also has facilities for campers and joggers including showers and fountains with water suitable for drinking.
O’Neill Museum. One of the first wooden frame houses in the city, this historical architectural gem built in the Victorian style was constructed in the period between 1870 and 1880 and now serves as a museum. It was built by saloon owner Jose Dolores Garcia for his wife Refugio Yorba.
Historic Town Center Park. This community park is encircled by a jogging path and contains picnic facilities perfect for lounging and for barbecues with family and friends. It also serves as an outdoor event venue for concerts, town gatherings, and outdoor theatrical productions.
Mission San Juan Capistrano. This town complex built-in 1776 is one of California’s most treasured historic sites. It is a registered monument with the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The complex spans over 10 acres and contains numerous adobe structures and gardens that visitors can still see today as they have been carefully preserved by the city government over the years.
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO REAL ESTATE MARKET
Home to less than 40,000 residents, the city has a land area of over 14 square miles, and its motto, appropriately enough, is: “Preserving the Past to Enhance the Future.” Looking for San Juan Capistrano real estate? Contact the Ulnick Group of San Juan Capistrano real estate agents & realtors to find condos, townhomes, houses & homes for sale in San Juan Capistrano.
THINGS TO DO IN SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO
Nestled in the heart of Orange County, California, San Juan Capistrano is a charming city known for its rich history, picturesque landscapes, and vibrant cultural scene. Whether you're a local resident or a visitor, there's no shortage of activities and attractions to enjoy in this beautiful town. From historical sites to outdoor adventures, here are some of the best things to do in San Juan Capistrano.
Explore Mission San Juan Capistrano
- No visit to San Juan Capistrano is complete without exploring Mission San Juan Capistrano. This historic landmark, founded in 1776, is famous for its stunning architecture, beautiful gardens, and the legend of the swallows that return each year. Take a guided tour to learn about the mission's history and its role in California's past.
Discover the Los Rios Historic District
- Step back in time as you wander through the charming Los Rios Historic District, one of the oldest neighborhoods in California. This area is lined with historic buildings, quaint shops, and cozy cafes. It's a perfect place to explore on foot and soak in the town's unique atmosphere.
Take a Stroll at the San Juan Capistrano Historic Town Center Park
- Located in the heart of the city, the San Juan Capistrano Historic Town Center Park offers a serene setting for a leisurely stroll. Enjoy the lush greenery, beautiful fountains, and benches where you can sit and relax. The park often hosts events and concerts, making it a lively hub of activity.
Visit the Zoomars Petting Zoo
- If you're visiting with family, don't miss the chance to visit the Zoomars Petting Zoo. It's a favorite among kids and adults alike. Interact with friendly animals, feed them, and enjoy train rides around the area. It's a great place for hands-on learning and bonding with animals.
Hike the San Juan Creek Trail
- For outdoor enthusiasts, the San Juan Creek Trail offers a picturesque hiking experience. The trail winds along the San Juan Creek, providing stunning views of the surrounding nature. Whether you're a seasoned hiker or just looking for a leisurely walk, this trail has something to offer.
Attend Events at the Camino Real Playhouse
- The Camino Real Playhouse is a local gem that hosts theatrical productions, musical performances, and entertainment for all ages. Check their schedule to catch a show during your visit and enjoy a memorable cultural experience.
From its historic landmarks to its natural beauty, San Juan Capistrano offers a diverse range of activities for visitors of all interests. Whether you're fascinated by history, nature, art, or simply want to relax and enjoy good food, this charming city has something for everyone. Make the most of your visit by exploring these attractions and creating lasting memories in this picturesque California gem.
Want the full market report for San Juan Capistrano?
We want to ensure that you have all the information needed to make the best decisions when it comes to your home goals. When you enter your info below you will get instant access to the area's latest market report, complete with sales and demographic trends.
San Juan Capistrano Schools
San Juan Capistrano LOCAL FAVORITES
SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO COMMUNITY BLOGS
Read helpful resources and articles related to the area.
San Juan Capistrano, a quaint town in Southern California, offers a wealth of activities and attractions for visitors. …
After a remarkable quarter-century run, the beloved Cedar Creek Inn in downtown San Juan Capistrano has undergone a …